Saturday, July 18, 2015

Linear Equations - All Forms & Applications

We cover all three forms of linear equations in my Algebra One class. Students learned about and used slope intercept form last year (8th grade common core) so they have had some experience working with y = mx + b. My goals for them now is to graph a linear equation in any form, write a linear equation in any form given information about the line, convert between the three forms and use all three forms in application situations. This takes a number of blocks but I will post all the ISN materials in one post.
We go through each form - discuss, work in groups to explore & practice. We summarize in our ISN. All the bright yellow "left hand learning" are found here (in large 11 by 17 document - I got a great deal on this paper, but you can change size to 8.5x11).

Two page spread for Slope Intercept Form:


Right hand reflect for each are examples that students work through. 


Another two page spread for Point Slope Form:



And another two page spread for Standard Form.


At this point students were asking, "how do we know which form we are working with?". So we brainstormed characteristics and made a page in our ISN for helpful hints on identifying.



Graphing Practice:

And here are some "graphing packets" for each form that I had students work on for practice:

 Working between the three forms (convert, write, etc!) 

 ISN "Writing all 3 forms given a graph"  and  the three examples



....with some documents I had students use to work between the forms:
Class Practice
More Class Practice
Quiz

 Applications

I use the ISN to go over examples for each and how you identify which form is used. This only takes up three pages. I need to make a fourth page that is a "you choose" application. Not sure what I'll do with that yet, feel free to send me suggestions via comments below.



After introducing we do a bunch of practice - in their small groups and for homework. Here are some documents that I have used;

 Helping Others
Homework
More with Standard Form
 Which Form Do You Use?
Windchill Exit Slip
More Writing & Using
You Choose Water Packet





No comments:

Post a Comment