Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Linear Inequalities in 2 variables


What was interesting when we first started working with the common core curriculum in our state workshops four summers ago is that linear inequalities in 2 variables was NOT in the topic list but systems of linear inequalities was included!  So we realized pretty quickly that we had to add this topic if the students were going to have a successful experience with systems.

Here are my ISN pages. I realize that I need to have one of my examples be a negative slope. So I'll change one of my examples for next year. Here is the document with both pages.


Here is a homework worksheet I used for graphing and a nice enrichment worksheet for those who catch on to this topic quickly and need a challenge (given graph, write linear inequality).

I'm a fan of having students compare & contrast things in math class and Venn Diagrams are a great way to do that. These make a good warm up activity for students to fill in with their groups and then we have a giant one on the board to have students come up and fill in. Here is my worksheet.

My advanced students are very good at learning procedures and working through problems. But I want them to be able to articulate what the solutions are for each of these. (we talk about solutions quite a bit all year - haven't mentioned it in the blog so far - but a lot of what we are doing in algebra one is working with solutions.....and a solution isn't necessary a single number). This is a nice critical thinking worksheet getting them to think about the solution sets for equations and inequalities. 

We also did applications of linear inequalities in two variables - but I didn't get to make an ISN foldable for these. At this point in our school year it was the end of semester one and we were wrapping up so we could have a unit test and start to prepare for our midterm exam. But here are some materials I used with my students.


No comments:

Post a Comment