Monday, July 6, 2015

Problem Solving (with linear equations in one variable)


Now the Common Core is supposed to teach our students to become good problem solvers. But since we are just starting out and our students only just started seeing common core materials in the last few years they haven't had that much exposure to it yet. I am lucky with this class in that they are generally like to solve problems and they will take risks and try stuff.

I do an introduction day loosely based on this MARS activity. But here are my STORY CARDS and my EQUATION CARDS. The students put those together (while working in their small groups) and make a poster. Later I'll post an image of it here.

We then get into more complex problem solving. We do some work with a modified bar model approach to give the students a visual way to set up what they know and where they are going.

Here is a more complex problem solving sheet. And the first homework and the second homework. I also challenged students to come up with complex problems and their groups and got some neat problems from them.

The ISN pages I used to support problem solving in this unit are (yeah there is a typo on the first one, but it's fixed on the foldable document here, and FYI this document is for 11x17 paper since I got a really good deal on a ream of yellow 11x17. But you can just eliminate two of the foldables and it will fit on the standard 8.5x11):




No comments:

Post a Comment