Sunday, August 16, 2015

Math Journals (another option if you don't want to do Interactive Student Notebooks OR something you can merge into ISNs)

I am one of the few people in my department who uses interactive student notebooks. I LOVE them and am really happy that I have started to use them. They are especially terrific because we really do not have a textbook so students can create their own personal textbook with these notebooks. (Although in PreCalculus we do have a textbook and I still do an ISN, the students love it there too, much more accessible than their textbook and it will be a good resource for PreCalculus).

Some of my colleagues do have students fill in a math journal, almost daily. They use composition notebooks and use it as a place to reflect at the end of class. Some also use it to have students track progress on homework and quizzes with cool little graphs.

This is a pretty cool article on how the math journals can be used and why they are useful.

And here is a neat little insert students can paste into the front cover of their journals:

I'd love to incorporate some of this journaling into my Algebra One ISN but we got to page 174 in our approximately 190 available page notebook - I'm afraid I won't have room for this!


No comments:

Post a Comment