Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Vi Hart

Who/What is Vi Hart?

According to wikipedia
Victoria Hart, commonly known as Vi Hart, (/ˈv hɑrt/)[1] is a self-described "recreational mathemusician" who is most known for her mathematical videos onYouTube.[2][3][4]
Hart is the daughter of mathematical sculptor George W. Hart, and was educated at Stony Brook University.[2] As well as producing mathematical videos, she has co-authored several research papers on computational geometry and the mathematics of paper folding.[5]
Vi Hart has previously been supported by Khan Academy making videos for the educational site as their "Resident Mathemusician" and currently works in a research group called eleVR creating virtual reality videos.[1][6] She has also collaborated on educational computer games.[7][8]   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi_Hart

And according to Vi Hart herself
I am Vi Hart! I am a real person, and I make videos and virtual reality and other things.   http://vihart.com/vi-hart-faq/ 
And in my mind, she is a super creative, smart, funny and talented mathematician. I love her videos. I use them in my classroom when I can. I watch them myself for fun.

I like to show this video when I'm doing sequences with my algebra one students


Sometimes my students are appalled that I show some of her videos because she doesn't always portray math class in a positive light. But that's okay. Math class can be boring and if you're bored any teacher would want you to daydream about math!
I've shown this about logarithms



And here is a great one to use at Christmas time:

She also has some Thanksgiving ones that I haven't watched yet....


Check out her YouTube channel  and her Khan Academy page. You can even friend her on facebook or follow her via twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment