Sunday, August 2, 2015

Polynomials and Polynomial Operations

More on establishing essential Algebra Skills for our Quadratics Unit.

A Frayer Diagram to define Polynomials:

And ISN insert to list vocabulary needed in talking about polynomials.


Hmmmm - I don't have an insert for adding & subtracting polynomials and think I should do one for next year. 


Multiplying Polynomials - I hate FOIL and don't mention it all all. I go over regular distributive property with a single multiplier and then show them what to do if you are multiplying two binomials (you've got two multipliers). There is also the cool "box" method that sets the stage for how I show factoring.


I expect my advanced students to recognize "special cases" (conjugate binomials and squaring binomials) and to be able to do them quickly, NOT the long way. (There are always a few students in an advanced class who are very hard workers but aren't especially intuitive so this drives them crazy but true advanced students should be able to do these quickly, In fact true advanced students kind of make up their own FOIL type method for multiplying other binomials, I just don't give them that word or show them that shortcut).


Here are my ISN originals.

Another Mistake that HORRIFIES Math Teachers
I tell my students that every math teacher dies a little inside when they see this mistake. That we want to run screaming from the room. That they won't get any kind of partial credit if they make this mistake, in fact I will question whether they should be in an advanced class. And I mention this over and over.  This meme may seem harsh but it shows how much this error horrifies me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your materials on this lesson!

    ReplyDelete